The #itsok challenge: Ditching the Mum Guilt
I'm loving the #itsok challenge that Jennie from the parenting blog Rice Cakes and Raisins has started. It's a mission to make us fellow mums feel a bit better about ourselves, our parenting skills (or lack thereof) and to reassure each and every exhausted mum out there that we're all doing OK. To read more on the challenge, and to participate, read this.
Of course, the challenge has since grown into an awesome weekly linky – the #itsok linky – and I love how we've become a little community now, giving one another virtual pats on the back, support and a few laughs. Because #itsok to sit back and take parenting with a pinch of salt sometimes…
So here are my 10 #itsok to confessions; how many resonate with you too?
1) #itsok to give your toddler fish fingers for dinner – again – because you are too damn tired to cook a fresh meal.
2) #itsok to hand your phone/ the i-pad/ kindle/ any electronic device to your toddler first thing in the morning, just so you get 15 more minutes shut-eye.
3) #itsok to skip a few lines (or pages) of a book you've already read to your toddler 87 times!
4) #itsok to threaten to cancel your kid's birthday party (note: I said threaten; I would never really do it) because he's throwing tantrums every day for everything!
5) #itsok to scroll through Facebook or check Twitter while on the loo – you deserve those extra five minutes of alone-time. Unless, of course you have an audience aka your toddler!
6) #itsok to let your four-year-old co-sleep – if it works for you'll as a family and everyone's getting sleep, then #itsok. Your child will not be in your bed when he or she is 17!
7) #itsok to let your pre-schooler be a baby once in a while – let him sleep in your bed if he wants to, feed him if he wants to be fed, allow him to sit on your lap. Because blink and these days are gone…
8) #itsok to pretend to be in deep sleep when your toddler has an early start on a weekend – and let your dear husband wake up and take him downstairs. (Hubster, if you're reading this, I am really in deep sleep. Promise)
9) #itsok to lose your s**t sometimes. Parenting is tough, toddlers/ pre-schoolers can sometimes be a***holes, and every moment cannot be rose-tinted. The reality is lack of sleep, a load full of tantrums, and food thrown on the floor. So – its jolly well ok to lose it sometimes. We are supermums yes, but we are also human.
10) #itsok to just sit back and relax once in a while. The dishes and laundry can wait, your toddler can play by himself (if everything else fails, switch on the telly), and that blog post that's been sitting in your drafts folder for days can rest for another day. Don't let the guilt ruin it. Sit down, close your eyes, drink a cup of tea, read a few pages of your favourite book or a trashy magazine… forget the world and refresh even if it's just for five minutes! You deserve it mum!!!
Do any of these resonate with you? What are your #itsok confessions? I'd love to read them…
And, last but not the least, let's not forget that we mums need to take care of ourselves as well. As it's said, you can't pour from an empty cup! Here's a lovely post on 10 Ways Self-Care For Mums Is Possible
Follow Tales from Mamaville on bloglovin too!
I’ve linked this post with these fab linkies