So, we're all
stuck safe at home for, well, we don't know how long. It could be two months, it could be four. It could even be that our children will only go back to school in the new academic year (make sure you're stocked up on lots of wine!!!). We're all adjusting to working-from-home while home-schooling and entertaining our kids, without letting them leave the house. That is hard work.
But I'm learning to let some things go and let loose… that is the only way we can survive this. (And wine, of course!)
– The house will be a mess for the foreseeable future – but since we're in lockdown no-one's going to come over anyways! Besides, I refuse to tidy up toys – every night – only for them to be sprawled across the room the next morning.
– Little Man will eat a lot more 'treats' and not-so-healthy snacks. When children are home, their appetites and stomachs somehow seem to expand. Now when they are home 24/7 for weeks on end, this expansion will only increase. And after the 347th request for a snack, a fruit or cheese or yogurt just won't cut it. Bring out the Oreos!
– There will be a LOT of screen time. Let's face it – we've all made time-tables and routines and downloaded educational YouTube videos and lined up a host of activities for our kids to do, but when all that is done by noon, and you are technically working-from-home, what exactly can you do to keep your child from whining "I'm bored" or "Now what do I do, Mummy?" I've always said that electronics are the best babysitters… and this is the time to prove it!
– Home-schooling will suck the life out of you, and test the last strain of patience you might possess. But breathe. It's not the end of the world. It's not forever. Your kids will not fail their A-levels or GCSE's just because you didn't practice their phonics well-enough for a couple of weeks. It's tough enough getting them to do their homework, let alone be their actual teacher. E.V.E.R.Y. D.A.Y. So do the best you can and just go with the flow. They have the rest of their lives to catch up on studies…
– The laundry and the ironing pile will become bigger and taller because, well, there are no school uniform deadlines to be met or office suits to be ironed. PJs it is and PJs it will remain for some time now!
– There will be good days and bad days, awesome days and terrible days and some days where you will want to just pull your hair out… but, know that this is not forever. Embrace the situation, drop Maths for Monopoly and Phonics for some fun. And if all else fails, there's always wine…
Follow Tales from Mamaville on bloglovin too!