Variety is the spice of life, true, but when it comes to your home, it's not possible or practical to keep purchasing new furniture/ beds/ sofas every few months. Big (and expensive) household items are usually one-time buys, so what do you do when you want a change? Especially at a time like this, when because of the global pandemic and frequent lockdowns, we are forced to be amidst the four walls of our house.
The answer is in simple, inexpensive yet effective edits around the house. Small changes like moving the furniture around, adding a new carpet or painting or even a fresh coat of paint can make a huge difference. Here are some DIY ideas for your very own home edit.
1. Floor them with your… floor!
Often, we tend to over-accessorize our space, taking the attention away from something that speaks for itself, like good old solid wood flooring. Nothing can beat the class and homely feel of beautiful real wood floors. Strip your carpet down and showcase that solid wood floor – it will lighten up the room, give it a new look and feel and might even become the talking point of the room!
2. Reposition your furniture
You don't need to buy new furniture to refresh your space; simply change the location and position of existing furniture and see how different your room will look. Move the sofa to a different corner, position your dining table at a different angle, make a cosy personal lounge area in your living space or bedroom (all you need is a bean bag or pouffe and a carpet); just think outside the box and don't be afraid to experiment. Worse case, you can always swap back if you don't like it!
(Like we did – we moved the same carpet and the same cushions to a new corner and completely changed the look of our room)
3. Add a splash of colour
One bright object can make a world of difference to an otherwise dull room. It could be a painting, a bright carpet, a piece of statement furniture or even a wallpaper on one wall.
Plants and flowers are another easy way to add colour to a space. If you want an even more hassle-free option, get some artificial flowers or a big artificial plant.
4. One small change… a big step for your home
- Yes, sometimes it's the small things. Swap two dining table chairs for a bench and instantly open up your dining space.
- Paint a wall bright red or yellow or orange. Or just a fresh coat of paint can give a new lease of life to your room.
- Put up photo frames around the house.
- Decorate your kid's bedroom with wall stickers.
- Mirrors reflect light, so that's a great option for a room that gets minimal sunlight.A few small DIY changes can update the entire look of your house.
5. Accessorize with soft furnishings
- Windows looking bare? A colourful blind or pretty curtains will solve the problem.
- Bored of your sofa but can't afford a new one? A couple of funky cushions and cosy throws will instantly update that boring sofa.
- Want some more spice in the bedroom (we're still talking furnishings!!!) – invest in some new bedding and bed cushions. Make your bed a luxe-bed.
All these updates and edits can be made with zero cost or a minimal spend. All you need is inspiration, creativity and some moving around!!!
Follow Tales from Mamaville on bloglovin too!
You might also like: 5 ways to make your home stand out